Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Crochet Sea Pennies Tutorial

Crochet Sea Pennies

Hey everyone! Today I'm sharing a very basic crochet technique to make crochet "sea pennies".  They're fun and easy to make, plus they are the basis for making crochet flowers and hats.  So ya,  it's a good crochet skill to have under your belt.

Materials: 
(You can make these with any size hook and any type of yarn, but this is what I used for this tutorial)
Yarn- worsted weight
Crochet Hook- size H

Step 1: Make a basic loop.  Some call this a "magic circle" because it allows you to pull the circle to close it together after you finish stitching.  You can find a tutorial on it HERE or you can do what I do, just make a loop like you're tying a simple not. It's a little harder to close the circle with my method, but it works for me.

Step 2:  Chain 3.


Step 3:  11 double crochet into the beginning chain.

Crochet Sea Pennies

Step 4:  Slip stitch into the top of the beginning chain 3 and fasten off.

Crochet Sea Pennies


Step 5:   Pull the beginning tail of your loop or your "magic circle" to close the gap in the middle and weave in ends.

Crochet Sea Pennies

There you have it!  You can make a whole blanket out of these or use them as embellishments.  I have plans to make a bracelet with these soon!  

Crochet Sea Pennies
Crochet Sea Pennies
Crochet Sea Pennies

11 comments :

  1. Awesome! You should do a tutorial for a simple washcloth. I can't do it again....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bracelet with those will be cute. So many possibilities (for those who can crochet)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are fab and I love those colours you've used! Must try these x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so pretty. They look great. I would love for you to come and link this up to my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the detailed photos. I pinned so I can try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elise, those are so adorable! Thanks for sharing tutorial! I'm your newest follower and would love for you to follow mine too! :)Have a great Year!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a good carry along project, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these on we did it wednesday and thought they might be yours! They are very cute...Love the colors!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. following you so I can think about getting into crochet again,,, might get some inspiration. I sure need it ....I will be back to look around
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elise! Are you on Google+ ? I want to invite you to a Sea Pennie Challenge! Here's the link
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102673161727036883291

    It's called Penny a Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    We found you from the Six Sisters Blog Hop. You have some great ideas and we would like for you to share with our readers too. We are hosting our first link party tomorrow and we would like to invite you to link up with us. We have a fun blog to co-host with us. Hope to see you there.

    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I love to reply to them! I reply through email, so if you don't get a response from me, it's because you are a non-reply comment blogger. Please check your settings so I can respond. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...